Thursday

ABANDON SHIP!!!

More news from the advertising world...

It looks like the "computer team" (I use the term loosely) from my old advertising agency is jumping before it's too late. Probably a good idea since the agency has cut their 401K plan, and health insurance is soon to follow. Before you know it they will convince some poor saps out of college to pay the company to work there!

You know, I remember Monday Morning Meetings when I would make suggestions - like diversifying account types or pushing internet marketing - would get me laughed at. Heaven forbid that any company spread their talent to ensure they can keep their doors open. I should have said, "Hey - why don't we put all of our eggs into one basket and live on the idea that it's sort-of worked the last 28 years..." Hell - I would have been promoted for that kind of forward thinking!

My heart aches for my friends who are still there - hanging on to their employment as much as they can with the hope that their loyalty will be rewarded if things turn around. For their sake I hope the incompetent jerks in upper-management (yeah, you - that master's degree means jack shit right about now) get their act together and really do some creative collective thinking.

Okay here's an idea (since I know some of the managers still read my blog)... Why not give the employees who are still there a share in the company? Give them ownership in the success of the business. ALL business. When things turn around - let them be part of the success (PROFITS TOO). Fuck that $50 cash at the Holiday Party - let them have potential to earn a REAL bonus (like $500 *gasp*). If they leave while things are still bad - they simply lose their shares (which are re-distributed to their replacement or to remaining employees). If they hang in there for a turn-around, track profits and give them the option to cash out a portion every year. To keep employees motivated - STOP giving bonuses to the managers only. You see, minions at the bottom of the "feeding pond" lose motivation when they are told about managers bonuses (which The Boss and The Biscuit shared amount info with me when I was there). Employees see their hard work being rewarded to managers (who go golfing on work days and spend more time gossiping than being productive).

7 Comments:

Blogger Dinah jo said...

Yeah that is a good idea. Too bad the managers aren't as smart as you.

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They will never let that happen the 5 or 6 who own stock will never let it go...there are others looking to jump ship as well

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah...more layoffs last week and another pay cut..nice...

1:17 PM  
Blogger Conqueress said...

I know they'd never loosen the death grip on the shares... and that is what is strangling the creativity out of the company and killing the business.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting tid bit I found out....one graham employee, who is now going to also help the other company is getting a big raise and everyone else got a pay cut... what gives with that.....

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like CHD is going to disband... how long you think they will float before they close shop... I would seriously suggest peopel who work there start looking for some other avenues

5:22 PM  
Blogger Conqueress said...

Heh - when I left I said 2010 would be their last year. I still think that will be the case. I wasn't expecting it to go down like it has with the layoffs... I was under the impression there was more in the coffers. I know the Biscuit took a 2008 bonus & now she's gone. With the economy taking an upturn, many of my friends who have been out-of-work for 6-8 months are now finding jobs (and good ones). It's probably the right time to start looking again for anyone who is sticking around that place.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home